Sunday, November 16, 2014

human needs

If you'd like to hear about motivational speakers/philosophy, life organization, business theory, or religious thought, may I suggest speaking with my little brother. In his hours and hours of work for my dad, making tiny falcon backpacks (yes that's right, falcon backpacks) he chooses to pass the time by listening to speeches, TED talks, audiobooks, and any other uplifting thought provoking material he can. At this point, he's heard multiple hundreds of hours of these ideas, and it makes for not only one fantastic and inspirational life he's living, but also for great conversation whenever we get to have him around.

One of his favorites, that I'm afraid I'm guilty of teasing him about listening to so much, is the infamous Tony Robbins. I'd seen images and a few clips, but until last night, I hadn't really given the man a fair listening to. Eric and I were scanning through TEDtalks, and saw one of his, probably about 20 minutes long, and well. We watched a Tony Robbins presentation.

It was quick. He tried to pack a lot of what usually goes into multiple days of training into those few minutes, but I did come away with more respect and interest in who he is, what he's experienced, and what he has learned/proposed about human nature and motivation.

He talked about how seemingly unpredictable human success and fulfillment are, based on biography, background, or possessions. That there are things common among most all human experience, as well as something significant that makes those humans' lives and life choices so different.

In his opinion, all humans are trying to, and generally find ways to, meet these same basic needs:

certainty
variety
significance
connection and love

Through education, work, violence, social media, and any number of varied methods. We all prioritize these four in a different way, which necessarily leads us to behave and perceive the world in different ways as well. His idea is if we can try to understand that all people are behaving and choosing in ways trying to met these needs, we can understand and treat those around us better.

Then these two needs, if met, make for a fulfilling life:

growth
contribution

He called these spiritual needs, and suggested that many/most people do not prioritize or focus enough on these, leading to less fulfilling lives.

I can't say I'm going to sign myself up for one of his trainings. But I was left determined to be more intentional and aware about choices I'm making, and try to focus on how and what I am doing to grow and contribute more. To try and be more aware in my interactions with others of the ways they are trying to meet these needs and ways I could possibly help.  I was forced to admit t's been a good while since I really set and worked toward any goal. I think I'm guilty of putting a lot of things off until "I'm not pregnant anymore".  Have I mentioned humans gestate for a really long time? Many of these things, to be fair, I can't really improve on while pregnant, so it seemed a necessary way of dealing with the frustration of not progressing in many areas I felt like I previously was. But there are a good many ways that, big belly and all, I could be growing and contributing much more. And, I think I will now. Thanks, Tony.

No comments:

Post a Comment