Wednesday, October 30, 2013

guilin

When I was 18, I decided I was ready to go abroad alone. My first choice was Africa, but as I looked for opportunities in line with what I wanted to do (teach/volunteer) I ended up instead in China.   Africa, China, both big and un-kown, so sure, why not?

I was sent with a group of 6 other teachers to a school in rural South-west China,  in an area ardently claimed as "the most beautiful place in the world" by any Chinese person you will ever meet. Also to a school who had never had guest teachers and without anyone who was able to speak English, including the teachers who actually taught English at the school.

The six of us lived together, taught an immersion kindergarten in the mornings, and classes to every other grade in the school throughout the rest of the day, then went on adventures on the weekend.

I was cleaning out a basket last night and happened across a jump drive with pictures. And oh what a funny thing to look back at a version of yourself almost 10 years younger. Especially since I felt like I was such an adult at the time. And had just shaved my head, and then in an attempt to get it died hot pink (Sydney Bristow style) in Beijing (but speaking thus yet no chinese) ended up with Ronald Mcdonald.

And had absolutely no idea that China was about to become a pretty constant theme in my life.






We brought lots of cake mixes to use in the kitchen part of kindergarten. But ended up making most of them as a Friday treat and eating the whole bowl. Well we didn't have an oven.




breakfast on the street



enough elastics





the bathroom



new chinese shirt


hostile at the hostel


This man just held his baby up to my back as we were taking a picture. really. and to this day I'm not sure why.

This family is my inspiration. They met up with us to have church one sunday. The parents had saved up for years, then both quit their jobs and were taking their kids around the world for a year, homeschooling as they went and making their way slowly around the globe.

our clothes (an in turn ourselves) were pretty much just dirty and stinky the whole time




yum!


our apartment was not tight like unto a dish

I had no idea.




She had just won a medal for being the fastest kid in her grade (beating the boys, which was huge!) Look how thrilled she looks about it.

This is called behavior management. And this is a table.

Doing laundry

Rode across this on my bike. Snake infested waters on either side.

Just you try and teach me english




No comments:

Post a Comment