Tuesday, June 17, 2014

what, are you two years old or something?!



At this very moment, Anna is running around the house, yelling "Dangle, dangle, dangle. Slangle, wangle, frangle. Wahooo!". She has completely removed her clothes, and I've told her that whenever she's ready (clothes on), I'm ready to give her her snack and take her to the library. We will see how long this takes.

Lately, things that had previously been motivating, seem to have completely lost their charm. Refusals to put shoes back on at church, with the response, "Well, should we just leave them here for another kid to have?" are answered "Sure!",  pitter patter down the carpeted hall. When refusing to clean up toys results in putting them in a bag to donate, there's a brief moan of despair and then she's right on to the next thing.

Which is good, in many ways. A daughter with buddhist leanings is not the worst thing in the world. But a girl with ever shifting motivations is becoming increasingly hard to know how to guide towards good and kind choices.

There are so many times each day where I can hear the words of my mother "I don't want to ask you again...." as almost the only thing my mind can think. I know (hope) it is just a phase, that I can master a better way at being able to ask. But I'd just like to say that this almost three year old that is my constant, increasingly loud, often grumpy, ever so whiney as of late, incredibly smart and curious little companion, presents me continually with a rush of frustration, awe, forced patience, a new kind of happiness, surges of love, sighs, intense desires to give up and take a nap, laughs, and warm gratitude. We're teaching each other every day, and hopefully learning.

Sometimes I feel like I am saying the exact same thing way more than anyone ever should. There are a few phrases that seem to work well, and they get called upon to perform at frequent intervals. If you came to our house, I can assure you you would hear these same interactions at least 25 times.

Anna: "Mooooom!!! I [ insert problem/complaint]
Me: "Okay, so what do you think you should/could do about that?"

Anna wailing/whining.
Me: "Do you think that crying/yelling/whining is going to help you with that problem?"
Anna: "NO! Crying doesn't solve problems!" Then laughs.

Anna: "Whiny/mean demand"
Me: "Let's try that again in a nice voice."
She says it again in a syrupy sweet mini voice. But much nicer.


1 comment: