Friday, March 16, 2012

Pig's supposed to look like that

I am fascinated by the variety of ways people create good in the world. Mr. Paul Simon is one of the more intriguing and admired humans I have never met but has played a role nonetheless in my view of the world and enjoyment of the same.

The themes he deals with in his lyrics and the way he gets inside the minds and stories of so many many humans through them is downright educational. Yet he never seems to think himself deep and tortured as so many musicians do. To me he is someone acutely aware of the struggle and incongruencies of humans, the mundane, the hopeless, and the price of love, but remains optimistic and determined to make something good of it.

And this was not just during a good run in the 60's or 70's. Or 80's. He's been going for well over 4 decades, continually collaborating and creating and contributing music to the world that means something to so many.

Thank you, Paul.

Just watch this first video and try not to let yourself get in a good mood. I dare you.


Thank you Alison and Jerry for this delectable take on Graceland. I may have listened to this more than a few times this morning. Sesame street. What a cutie.And this is one of my favoritas. Ignore the dull interview at the end.

1 comment:

  1. I once saw a recording of the old Muppet Show, when Paul Simon was on it. He sings this version of "Scarborough Fair" with some medieval Muppet villagers, and when Miss Piggy joins in, the look on his face is a perfect, "Why are you ruining my song?" It's so great.

    ReplyDelete